As we all know, injuries are apart of the game when it comes to sports. It takes a special athlete to hurt themselves doing things they have no business doing in the first place. This makes for great comic relief. Let’s take a look at some of my all-time favorite self-inflicted injuries by athletes.
10. Tampa Bay Rays’ pitcher Joel Zumaya missing an ALCS game with a sore wrist…FROM PLAYING TOO MUCH GUITAR HERO.
9. New York Knicks’ power forward Amare Stoudemire “single-handedly” helped the Knicks out of the playoffs by punching the glass of a fire extinguisher case.
8. Portland Trailblazers’ center Greg Oden. That is all.
7. Washington Nationals’ “rookie phenom” Bryce Harper’s in-game tantrum. Bryce 0 – Bat 1 (that crafty son of a bitch)
6. Jacksonville Jaguars’ punter Chris Hanson
a) 2003: Hanson nearly chopped his own foot off swinging an axe on tree stump in the Jags’ locker room (so many things wrong with that statement altogether).
b) 2002: Hanson and Jags’ kicker Jaret Holmes receive 1st and 2nd degree burns, comically and literally. Fondue, anyone??
5. Milwaukee Brewers’ outfielder Milton Bradley blowing out his knee arguing with an umpire. He would need an OPERATION to CONNECT FOUR of his ligaments. His team ended up in real TROUBLE as they strived for PERFECTION in the last few games of the season to make the playoffs. Tis THE GAME OF LIFE. (Ok, I had to stretch to make some these work.)
4. Washington Redskins’ quarterback Gus Frerotte head-butting a concrete wall. He ruined what looked to be a promis…a dece…he did the right thing.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the Bike of Destiny. Helmets only seem necessary for this guy when he’s being sacked or in the sack.
2. Arizona Cardinals’ kicker Bill Gramatica’s leap of faith. You’re old and a kicker. Keep your simple ass on the ground…but thanks for the memories…and the replays.
1. New York Giants’ wide receiver Plaxico Burress shoots self in the leg. His butthole had 119 receptions in the 2 seasons he spent incarcerated because of the incident.