No, this isn’t a political post, as the picture might suggest. This is just to prove I can give credit, as well as expose the weak (see my Sad Seven).
I understand that we are only leading into week 4 of college football season, but I am always fascinated by the random teams that make it this far into the season unbeaten. Teams you would never expect to be on a list with the Alabamas and LSUs of the world have their day in the sun, if just for the first month of the year.
And I know certain teams have played very weak schedules (like Texas Tech, whose wins include two FCS teams). Still, it’s fun to take a peek at college football’s also-rans who are yet unscathed. There are some interesting names* on the list of unbeatens, included below, along with a noteworthy stat or quip, if I can conjure one.
I counted 29 (my lucky number, by the way) total unbeatens at this point.
ACC: Just two, the obvious:
- Florida State (Average final score is 59-1.)
Big 12: Eight of the ten Big 12 teams are still unbeaten, three of which might surprise you:
- West Virginia (Geno Smith, one of two QBs with a 200+ rating, whatever that means.)
- TCU (Allowed just six points in two games, QB Casey Pachall completing 84%.)
- Kansas State
- Iowa State*
- Texas Tech* (Outscoring opponents 50-10 against a spongy schedule.)
- Rutgers* (Allowing less than 9 PPG and the Arkansas game this week now looks winnable.)
- Cincinnatti (Only played two games, and a bye this week.)
Big Ten: Perhaps the most disappointing conference so far. The list of three unbeatens is astonishing.
- Ohio State (No postseason, remember.)
- Minnesota* (Yeah, they haven’t lost yet. I’m as surprised as you are!)
- Notre Dame (Once again in a class by themselves.)
- Ohio (Next six opponents are combined 5-13 with two of those wins by FCS Norfolk State.)
PAC – 12:
- Stanford (Defense still stout, the USC game was impressive.)
- Oregon (Fourth in rushing, scoring 54 a game.)
- UCLA (Franklin for Heisman, sorry Husker fan.)
- Arizona* (Not for long, Oregon this week.)
SEC: (Second most with six unbeatens.)
- Alabama (Just sick.)
- Mississippi State* (Don’t be surprised if the are 7-0 going into the Alabama game.)
- Florida (They do just enough.)
- South Carolina (I still say overrated.)
- Texas – San Antonio*** (My favorite unbeaten. The RoadRunners are the pride of the WAC for now, off to a 3-0 start in their first FBS campaign. Consider me a fan!)
Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt: None, cuz they are that awesome.
Which of these teams do you think stay unbeaten this week?