The FBS expanded to 124 teams this year and I’m still wondering if that may be too many. I mean how good would the NFL really be with 100+ teams. I’m all for FBS relegation. But alas, I don’t run the NCAA.
Now we have a much more broad sample as to who is up for relegation. Hard to know who really blows after a week or two, but now we have a four or five game sample.
So here comes this week’s worst. My disclaimer is that I strongly considered putting Army on this list after their 23-3 loss to FCS Stony Brook, but then a veteran made me realize that these guys aren’t just student-athletes, but a crew studying to do yeoman’s work. So out of respect, I cannot include them.
So other than Army, there are only seven other teams without wins (four in C-USA), so Colorado gets a pass for now, as will Florida Atlantic. And excluding Army, this makes it really easy.
7. Southern Miss (0-4) - The Golden Eagles have had a pretty tough schedule opening with Nebraska and last week hosting Louisville. Playing on a splash pad in torrential rain, Southern Miss had the Cardinals beat until they allowed a late TD. Still a 42-17 at Western Kentucky is a pretty glaring red mark.
5. Eastern Michigan(0-4) - The Eagles had a bye this week to remain so will remain in the 5th spot. They are being outscored 36-16 but they enter MAC games this week, so we’ll see if they can climb off the list.
4. Memphis (0-4) - Also move up due to a bye and extremely poor performance by Tulane and Idaho. Good news is they play in the sad C-USA and end the season with fellow bottom 7 Tulane, UAB and Southern Miss.
3. Massachusetts (0-5)- The Minutemen proved me wrong and fought unbeaten Ohio for a full 60 minutes, but fell short none-the-less 37-34.
2. Tulane (0-4)- Ok, so we know Louisiana – Monroe has been overachieving this year, but still ULM thumping the Green Wave 63-10 was especially harsh for Tulane. In four games Tulane has been outscored 171-32. I’ve seen that stat line before … on Tecmo Super Bowl.
1. Idaho (0-5) - 66-0 loss to North Carolina just adds to the mess at Idaho. Outside of the Wyoming game, Idaho has put up just 30 points in four other games. A perfect season the wrong direction may be their destiny.
The week’s worst three
3. Arkansas @Aubrun - This looked to be a fantastic SEC match up to get us all geeked up for the later games, LSU @Florida and Georgia @South Carolina. But the Pigs and Tigers are a combined 2-7 and both are a mess. Arkansas is a sieve, allowing 40 points per game and Auburn can’t score, averaging 17.5 PPG. Something has to give, but who’s going to care?
2. Southeastern Louisiana @UAB – Really UAB? It’s game five for you guys and you’re playing an FCS team. You’re that desperate for your first win? I guess nothing says football Saturday in Birmingham like a win over the SE Louisiana Lions. Mercifully this game is getting no TV coverage.
1. Rice @Memphis - These two FBS pretenders are a combined 1-8, allowing a combined 78.4 points per game, and both are fighting for last place in C-USA. You have to TRY to be in the basement of C-USA.