Sure enough, leave it to Pitt to overachieve and ruin my list! Week three sees the Panthers and the Akron Zips climb out of the cellar of college football. So who replaces them in the list no team wants to be on? And what are the worst three games on the buffet this week?
7. Houston – Lost 37-6 @UCLA but climbs up one spot due to the sheer inability of two other schools. Houston still ranks 117th in FBS, allowing 41 points per game.
6. Wyoming – The Cowboys’ three losses weren’t complete blowouts, but include two home losses to Toledo and FCS Cal Poly. Thankfully, they get fellow cellar-dweller Idaho this week, and the honor of worst game on the schedule for week 4.
5. Idaho – Leave it to LSU to deliver a beatdown worthy of putting Idaho on the suck list. Idaho is averaging 10 points per game, upping that average @LSU, losing 63-14. But the year started with a home loss to Eastern Washington. Oofta!
4. Memphis – They move up from No. 3 because Colorado, as it turns out is THAT bad. A week 3 loss to Middle Tennessee State, adding to the FCS loss against Tennesee-Martin, lands Memphis in the 4-spot.
3. Eastern Michigan – An opening 11-point loss @Ball State might not be that bad, but a 17-point loss at home to Illinois State is that bad. A 38-point loss to Purdue doesn’t make things any better.
2. Colorado – We all knew Colorado was bad, but when Fresno State beats you down like they are Alabama, leading the Buffs 55-7 at halftime, all you can do is shake your head. Imagine what USC, Oregon and Stanford are going to do to them in consecutive weeks.
1. Massachusetts – Michigan levied the punishment this week, handing the Minutemen a 60-minute 63-13 whooping. Umass is 121st in passing, 120th in rushing, 124th in points per game (scoring just 19 in three games) and last in points against, allowing over 48 per. Luckily, their schedule gets easier as they play in the MAC.
Three Terrible Games
3. UMass at Miami (OH) – Combined record of 1-5 and Miami joins Umass, ranking 100th or worse in 3 of 4 ESPN categories. Let the MAC season commence!
2. VMI at Navy – Man I hate dogging on military academies, but this is an awful game. Navy is 0-2 coming off blowouts against Notre Dame and Penn State. They are 114th in passing, second to last in points for, at 8.5 per and near last in points against. The most scary stat: they are only 42nd in rushing, normally being top 5. FCS rep VMI is 1-2 after a 47-6 loss at Richmond and are only scoring 13 a game themselves. But because of the military ties, this game is on the CBS Sports Network Saturday.
1. Wyoming at Idaho – Bottom seven represent! I can hear Keith Jackson yelling “fumble!!” as I type. Feel free to log on to ESPN3.com to witness this train wreck.