Back in 2015, wordsmith and all-around good dude Shea Serrano joined forces with one of the best illustrators in the game, Arturo Torres, to create The Rap Year Book: The Most Important Rap Song From Every Year Since 1979, Discussed, Debated, and Deconstructed. It was most dope.
Fast forward to 2017 and the Serrano/Torress collab decided to drop even more heat on the world with the release of Basketball (and Other Things): A Collection of Questions Asked, Answered, Illustrated. The book, which addresses the most important and outlandish questions in basketball history, became an instant hit. I mean, what else should we have expected? Any collection of pages that included artwork our lord and savior being dunked on and a deep dive of whether or not a bear could thrive in the NBA was destined to fly off the shelves.
You can’t go wrong with Shea’s words combined with Torres’ visuals. I dare you to find a more obvious statement than that. “You can’t go wrong with Shea’s words combined with Torres’ visuals” is such a true thing that it should probably replace the “One does not simply walk into Mordor” meme. That said, Shea packs so much knowledge over the 200+ pages in BAOT that the annotations and illustrations don’t do the book justice. Until the powers that be figure out a way to include animated GIFs and YouTube clips in books, we’re all forced to Google references we don’t remember or quite get.
Because I’m a man of the people and Shea is undoubtedly the people’s scribe, I decided to put together this video companion for when you read BAOT for the second, third and eleventeeth time.
Here’s how it works:
- You open up BAOT‘s table of contents.
- Because the hyperlinks below are named after the sections in BAOT, you simply click the hyperlink that corresponds to the section you are reading to pull up video clips related to that section.
I want to be up front with you about what clips are included in this guide. This guide does not include video of every single thing Shea includes in the book. I included clips that I deemed as most vital to fully enjoying and understanding each section. Two other things to consider: I didn’t include clips of dudes getting injured and I only referenced YouTube when compiling everything you see in this guide.
Now that we’re all set, let’s get it.
- Foreword by Reggie Miller
- What Year Was Michael Jordan the Best Version of Michael Jordan?
- Who’s Your Frankenplayer Made Out Of?
- Who’s the Greatest Dunker in NBA History?
- What’s the Order of the First Round of the Fictional Basketball Player Draft? PART 1
- What’s the Order of the First Round of the Fictional Basketball Player Draft? PART 2
- What’s the Order of the First Round of the Fictional Basketball Player Draft? PART 3
- Which NBA Players Get Remembered for the Wrong Reasons?
- How Many Points Should [SHOT] Actually Be Worth?
- Which Dunks Are in the Disrespectful Dunk Hall of Fame? PART 1
- Which Dunks Are in the Disrespectful Dunk Hall of Fame? PART 2
- Who Is Your Memory Hero?
- Which NBA Player’s Group Are You Joining If the Purge Begins Tonight?
- What’s the Most Important NBA Championship? PART 1
- What’s the Most Important NBA Championship? PART 2
- What’s the Most Important NBA Championship? PART 3
- Basketball Court: Who’s More Important to the History of Basketball, Allen Iverson or Dwyane Wade?
- How Do Players’ Legacies Change If We Change Their Names?
- What’s the Plot for Death Hammer 2: Hammergeddon?
- If 1997 Karl Malone and a Bear Swapped Places for a Season, Who Would Be More Successful?
- What If Nick Anderson Made One of Those Free Throws?
- What Happened in the Moment Before “the Moment”? PART 1
- What Happened in the Moment Before “the Moment”? PART 2
- What Happened in the Moment Before “the Moment”? PART 3
- Was Kobe Bryant a Dork?
- What Attributes Make for the Best Basketball Villain?
- Should We Do a Chapter That’s Just a Bunch of Lists?
- Am I Allowed to _____ During Pickup Basketball? PART 1
- Am I Allowed to _____ During Pickup Basketball? PART 2
- Who Had the Better Big-Name Game Under Duress?
- What Would’ve Happened If Shaq and Hakeem Had Played That One-on-One Game?
- Which Was the Most Perfect Duo in NBA History?
- If You Could Dunk on Any One Person, Who Would It Be?
- Which NBA Player’s Legacy Is the Most Greatly Affected If We Give Him the Championship He Never Won?