As the name implies, Thanksgiving is a time to reflect upon all of the good things in your life and be grateful for what you have.
But what if you are a football team playing in what is widely believed to be the worst Power 5 conference in the country? What does a team like Indiana, Michigan, or Nebraska have to be thankful for in 2014?
Glad you asked. I believe that everybody should be able to give thanks for something – even if you sometimes have to dig a little to find anything worthy of your gratitude.
What do the schools of the Big Ten have to be thankful for this football season? Plenty:
- Illinois: Remember that time you dressed up like a team that didn’t look like Illinois? And then you played like a team that didn’t look like Illinois? That was pretty cool.
- Indiana: You may bewinless in conference play, but you still hold the league’s best non-conference win (at SEC East leading Missouri)
- Iowa: Forbes says you can now afford to fire Kirk Ferentz!
- Maryland: Jim Delany’s check of bailout money did not bounce. Now you can buy more hideously ugly uniforms to demonstrate the pride you have in your state!
- Michigan: After failing with Rich Rod and BradyHoke, surely the third time will be the charm, right? Right?
- Michigan State: The continued employment of BradyHoke is more than enough for Spartan fans.
- Minnesota: Your coaching staff eats ice cream bars on the sideline of a frigid, snowy game without giving a single ____ what you think.
- Nebraska: You never have to face Melvin Gordon again. And depending on if you are aBo-leaver or aBo-liever, you may be thankful forPelini’s jobstatus as of this weekend.
- Northwestern: Nobody really has very high expectations for you, so it’s tough to ever have a “down” year. Plus, Chick-fil-A for everyone!
- Ohio State: The odds are good that Urban Meyer won’t have to shame eat an entire Papa John’s pizza after this year’s Big Ten Championship.
- Penn State: Despite the best efforts of the NCAA and Big Ten refs to screw you over, you can now go to a crappy bowl game (where refs from another conference will probably try to screw you over).
- Purdue: Be very, very thankful that this guy went to Indiana instead of Purdue. Plus – you still have that really big drum, which is kinda neat in a totally Purdue sort of way.
- Rutgers: Instead of getting beat by Houston,Cincy,UCF,andUConn, you now get blown out by Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska! Welcome to theB1G time!
- Wisconsin: For the next 300+ days, nobody can take away your FREEDOM!!! – even if they wanted that generic, ugly ass trophy.
- And a bonus for the B1G Boss Man himself, Jim Delany: Adding Maryland and Rutgers has TOTALLY made the conference stronger and more exciting. The reputation of the conference is an all time high.